Principal Trust Company requires any account holder who wishes to purchase outside held investments as part of their tax-advantaged account to have an existing affiliation with a firm that has an executed service agreement with Principal Trust.
Firms interested in signing a Service Agreement must:
- Have at least 100 active accounts.
- Be able to fulfill the terms and conditions outlined in the agreement.
We can accommodate a wide variety of investments:
The following investments are compatible with our documents and record-keeping system:
- Certificates of Deposit
- Government Securities
- Insurance (Employer Sponsored Plans)
- Limited Partnerships1 (PDF: 25 KB)
- Limited Liability Companies1 (PDF: 31 KB)
- Mutual Funds
- New Issues
- Options (writing of covered listed call options and purchase of puts for securities held long)
- Private Stock Issues1 (PDF: 25 KB)
- Publicly Traded Securities
1 Administrative Compatibility Determination Package must be completed and approved before purchase is made. There is $150 non-refundable administrative fee for each investment where Principal Trust must perform the administrative review. This fee needs to accompany the Administrative Compatibility Determination Package.
- Promissory Notes (PDF: 25 KB) (must be held and valued by the Brokerage Firm or Investment Sponsor)1.
The following investments are not compatible with our documents and record-keeping system:
- American Eagle Coins
- Commodities and/or Futures
- Dividend Reinvestment Plans (DRIPs)
- First or Second Trust Deeds or Mortgages
- Foreign Investments
- General Partnership
- Hospital Bonds
- Index Options
- Joint Ventures
- Margin Trading
- Master/Feeder Limited Partnerships or Limited Liability Companies
- Naked Options
- Offshore Investments including Offshore Master Trusts
- Real Estate
- Single member and family LLCs
- Short Sales
Prohibited by IRS
Currently our understanding of Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations prohibits IRA customers from investing in:
- Precious metals (except bullion meeting the requirement of IRC 408(m)(3)(B)
- Coins (certain exceptions apply)
- Art objects and other collectibles
If you have any questions, please call our Client Contact Center at 1.800.209.9010.
Generally, Principal Trust clients are able to deal directly with the broker of their choice in buying and selling securities without going through Principal Trust to effect the transaction. Please contact your broker for more information.